Senior Talent Acquisition at MNR Solutions
Views:142 Applications:0 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Histology Technician (5-10 yrs)
Reports To : Operations Head
0 The Histology Technician will perform the various tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing patient tissue specimens for microscopic examination and analysis by the Pathologist. This may include logging, batching, and cutting, mounting and staining procedures. Tissue specimens received from surgical, diagnostic, or autopsy cases are sorted, logged, and prioritized according to the standards required.
- Upon receiving written orders the Histology Technician will coordinate daily workflow of tasks and activities in the surgical pathology area with regard to routine procedures, special procedures, and the surgery schedule.
1. Retrieves specimens from the respective department /clinic /hospital or receives specimens for other cases when delivered to the Laboratory
2. Sorts specimens according to priority and difficulty of procedures and records in pathology log
3. Embeds specimens into blocks and fixes tissue in formalin
4. Operates instrumentation for tissue dehydration, section clearing, impregnation with paraffin, cutting tissue sections, and staining of slides
5. Prepares solutions, stains, and reagents in accordance with standards written procedures
6. Operates and maintains all histology area lab equipment in proper state of readiness, cleanliness, and sharpens and hone microtome knives
7. Records number of tissue blocks verifying proper identification and label
8. Performs and monitors inventory of supplies, equipment, and reagents used, and places orders for replacements as required
9. Assists the Pathologist in gross examination of surgical specimens and in frozen section procedures
10. Is capable of performing all routine and special procedures which may include but is not limited to standard procedures.
11. Performs other duties as requested by supervisors
12. Performs with a minimum of errors- works neatly and with accuracy regardless of volume of work
13. Shows willingness to assist other laboratory personnel when requested
14. Keeps current with changes in laboratory procedures
15. Organizes work for effective utilization of time
16. Able to determine priorities when organizing daily assignments
17. Makes pertinent observations in regard to department needs and office suggestions
18. Is aware of need for cost containment
19. Utilizes supplies in non-wasteful manner
20. Observes confidentiality, both with patient information and co-workers
21. Capable of performing a variety of tasks outside the scope of job duties
22. Accepts accountability for actions
23. Able to recognize the importance of Medylife policies
24. Accepts responsibility for an becomes available for overtime when workload requires
25. Accepts responsibility for and becomes available to work a different shift when workload or conditions warrant it
1. Must be a Registered Histology Technician (ASCP) or be eligible for such registration or have a high school education and a minimum of five (5) years experience as a Histology Technician or have a minimum of one years training under the direction of a registered Histology Technologist.
2. Spatial ability is required to perceive three-dimensional and geometric relationships when cutting paraffin blocks and making embedding molds.
3. Finger dexterity required to manipulate the micro-thin tissue sections and to mount onto microscope slides
4. Color discrimination required to verify diagnostic quality of staining processes in order that essential features of tissue sections can be properly defined