Program Officer at International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
Views:170 Applications:4 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
IAVI - Associate - Postdoctoral Research (1-2 yrs)
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate
Location: Faridabad, Haryana, India
Reports to: Associate Director
The Postdoctoral Research Associate position is based in the India Lab at the Translational Health Science & Technology Institute (THSTI), located at Faridabad, India. The India Lab located in THSTI is a Neutralizing Antibody Consortium (NAC) -collaborating center and works closely under the guidance of the NAC lab located at the Scripps Research, La Jolla, California, USA. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work alongside with a multidisciplinary team with the overall objective of discovery through development of broadly neutralizing antibodies (bnAb) with particular reference to HIV. The position will report to the laboratory Head, currently; Dr Jayanta Bhattacharya.
- Maintain cell cultures and express and purify proteins
- Design, optimize and lead purification of proteins
- Collaborate on planning and maintaining purification schedules
- Run affinity and size-exclusion chromatography
- Interpret data, make decisions and conduct trouble shooting on technical issues
- Participate in the preparation of data along with team members
- Project management of weekly technical activities and communication of progress
- Management and mentor ship of junior staffs
- Carry out biophysical and biochemical analyses including ELISA, SPR, Western blotting and related analysis
- Ordering of supplies
- To set goals/targets for the projects of the lab in consultation with Lab Head/ Principal Investigator and in
coordination with laboratory scientists and researchers on the projects to produce effective solutions.
- To foster information sharing and report research and development progress to the Lab Head/Principal Investigator highlighting risks, issues and probable solutions.
- To support in technical proposal generation through provision of scientific inputs from outcomes of experimental activities or research publications.
- To represent the lab on a purely scientific level at national and international meetings. To write scientific papers for publication in refereed journals and to act as an acknowledged research expert in the chosen field.
- Maintain accurate, thorough, and timely research documentation. Writing of standard operating procedures and batch records as needed.
Experience and Skills:
- Education & Experience: A PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry or any branch of Life Sciences with 1-2 years of postdoctoral research experience in a recognized laboratory/Institution/University. Candidates with research experience in the area of virology would be preferred.
- Ability to express and purify secreted proteins from mammalian cell (affinity chromatography and size exclusion chromatography, native and denaturing protein gels).
- Plasmid and genomic DNA amplification and purification
- Extensive experience in handling mammalian tissue culture
- Strong analytical, writing and communication in English
- Team player with ability to work independently. Preference would be given to candidates with proven experience working in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ready to take challenges upfront and presence of flexibility to solve unique scenarios and planning to meet firm deadlines
- Should have experience in writing research abstracts, manuscripts and fluency in communicating research data in scientific meetings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to produce high quality materials, reports and/or proposals in English.
- Should be proficient in handling office software tools; that include Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint. Should be proficient in using data analysis tools; for example: PyMOL, UCSF Chimera, DNASTAR, Sequencher, GraphPad Prism.
Leadership and Communication:
- Good interpersonal skills with proven ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively in teams with others from a range of disciplines and cultures.
- Receptive to and takes positive action on feedback, recommendations and requests;
- Listens actively and communicates effectively with others both within the lab and outside.
- Clearly articulates viewpoints and respects others- ideas;
- Takes proactive steps to collaborate with members from other teams/departments;
- Strives for excellence and seeks solutions to system/process failures and Fulfills commitments; and readily accepts accountability for outcomes.
- To be able to effectively communicate technical activities (both verbally and in writing) to internal and external stakeholders when required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific visions abilities require by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and abilities to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please sent you CV along with cover letter
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a global not-for-profit organization whose mission is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines and new tools for biomedical prevention to further global health. Over its 22-year history, IAVI has amassed peerless knowledge and experience in vaccine development from epidemiology and basic biomedical research to clinical trial design, research preparedness, project management and community advocacy. Although IAVI remains focused on advancing promising HIV vaccine candidates, IAVI now supports discovery, translation, and evaluation of global health innovations beyond HIV, using its intellectual capital to illuminate understanding of global health more broadly and seeking answers to unresolved scientific issues in HIV through contributions in other areas. For more information see http://www.iavi.org/
IAVI in India is focused on facilitating unique partnerships and inter-disciplinary collaborations with key stakeholders with various arms of the Government of India. Over the last 17 years IAVI in India has brought together national and global expertise to define programs that leverage domestic funding for the enhancement of domestic R&D capabilities and solve domestic and global health problems.
IAVI Core Values:
Dedication to the Mission: We are committed to the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world to achieve a world without AIDS
Innovative Evolution: We are committed to solving complex problems in creative and innovative ways, learning from our mistakes and successes and never giving up
Integrity: We are committed to meeting the highest ethical and professional standards in everything we do and to taking responsibility for our actions to earn respect
Collaboration: We are committed to embracing diversity, the power of glocal teamwork and the belief that by working as one we can make a difference
People Management, Leadership and Communication
- Provide direction and oversight to team and support their development. Manage performance expectations to ensure desired results are achieved.
- Provide leadership and guidance to team ensuring strategic goals are met
- Appropriately share information with direct reports and encourage transparency where possible
- Hold regular meetings and serve as a mentor to team