Executive - HR at Ummeed Child Development Center
Views:126 Applications:0 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Ummeed - Manager/Senior Manager - Clinic Services (5-10 yrs)
About Ummeed :
- Shivam was about 3 years old when his mother Mrs. Jadhav, started feeling concerned that he spoke very little and did not interact much with people. She spoke to her pediatrician who advised that Shivam undergo speech therapy. In spite of 4-5 months of therapy, Shivam did not make much progress.
- Shivam's mother heard about Ummeed from a friend, and brought him in for an assessment.
- She learned from the Developmental Pediatrician at Ummeed that Shivam has Autism, which is why he struggles with communication and socialization. Over 24 sessions with Ummeed's Autism Intervention Team, Shivam has started speaking with his mother and playing with children in his building. An Occupational Therapist is helping him become more independent in his daily routine, while the Social Work team is helping his mother identify schools and other services in her neighborhood. In the corridor at Ummeed, the previously quiet Shivam confidently gives high-fives to all Ummeed staff members, including those he doesn- t yet know!
- Shivam's story is not unique. India has over 50 million children with disabilities under the age of 15. While some disabilities such as Down Syndrome are visible, others like autism and learning disability are invisible.
- Life can be difficult anywhere for children with disabilities - they get poor healthcare, are more likely to be out of school, are more likely to be bullied, and rarely get included in leisure and fun activities that all children should have access to. At the same time, there is overwhelming evidence that the kind of multi-disciplinary care Shivam received is vital and effective. With access to appropriate medical and education services as well as recreation, children with disabilities can meaningfully participate in activities at home, school, and community, and become productive members of the society.
In 19 years of its journey (we were founded in 2001 by Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy, a developmental paediatrician), Ummeed has provided clinical services to over 10,000 children and families. Each year, about 1100- 1200 children receive direct services through about 7500- 8000 sessions (ranging from developmental pediatrician assessments and consults, occupational and physiotherapy, autism intervention, mental health services, testing, remedial services, and social work services).
- Through this journey, the Ummeed team has held on to and promoted the following principles of care:
- Recognition of families as experts on the child's strengths and their social context, making them partners in care - being family centred
- Conscious shift from the traditional medical approach of fixing something that is - wrong-, to one that embraces and builds on the strengths of the child and the family
- Acknowledgement that the child's development is influenced by multiple individuals and factors in the immediate and distal environment - the biopsychosocial model
Our clinical work is complemented by our training services that aim to build a network of trained medical and school professionals as well as community workers who can prevent, diagnose, and manage developmental disabilities eectively; our awareness efforts that aim to change societal attitudes towards children with disabilities; and our research efforts to engage with and influence the academic community.
About the Position - Manager/ Senior Manager, Clinic Services:
Ummeed's current clinic is located in Lower Parel. In this 4000 sq. ft. facility, over 70 professionals provide evidence based, culturally relevant, and multi-disciplinary services to children with developmental disabilities and to their families. This center also runs an Early Intervention Center that supports 3-6 year olds in becoming school-ready. We are in the process of rolling out a Clinic Management System.
The Manager/ Senior Manager, Clinical Services, position is a key role that works closely with the Head - Clinical Services in operationalizing the clinic strategy, liaising with various clinical teams to ensure that children and families are receiving coordinated and timely care, partnering with shared services teams in ensuring processes for clinic services are seamless, ensuring accurate data capture and analysis, and ensuring that the voices of children and families are heard and incorporated in the Clinic's services.
Roles and Responsibilities :
The responsibilities of the Manager/ Senior Manager, Clinical Services include but are not be limited to:
- Operations management of Clinic goals and priorities
- Co-think goals and future priorities with Head - Clinical services
- Think through and implement operations and processes for these goals and priorities, including getting buy-in from key stakeholders
- Track and report progress
- Implement and maintain day-to-day operations of the Clinic - scheduling, consults, therapy sessions, fees management, room management - to ensure optimum utilization of Clinic resources, without compromising Ummeed's values of family centered care, strengths based approaches, and a focus on the biopsychosocial model
- Support implementation and adoption of the Clinic Management System across the organization, including change management processes
- Work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to ensure accurate and up-to-date Clinic data collection, analysis, and reporting of emerging trends
- Manage/ support the implementation of the relevant research and awareness activities of the Clinic
- Be aware of Clinic funding status and support donor management and engagement such as providing inputs for proposals and donor reports as well as supporting donor visits
- Work closely with shared services teams such as HR, IT, Admin to ensure seamless operations for the Clinic
- Implement ways for incorporating the feedback and inputs of children and families in Ummeed's Clinic services
Chief Operating Officer (solid line reporting) and Head-Clinical Services (dotted line reporting)
Minimum qualifications, Skills required:
The applicant must have 5-7 years- work experience, with at least 2 years of project management (or similar) experience in the not-for-profit sector or relevant corporate sector. Given the nature of the work, the person must be passionate about working in the social sector and willing to learn. If you are a caregiver for a child/ person with disability, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Some key competencies for the role include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including cooperation, collaboration, negotiation, and ability to work across diverse teams and stakeholders
- Great oral and written communication skills, including comfort in communicating in Hindi/ Marathi/ both
- Excellent problem solving and conflict management skills that involve a willingness to understand key issues and creatively resolve them
- Project management skills, including planning, organizing and prioritizing, risk management, etc.
- Willingness to learn about the sector and nuances of Ummeed's philosophy and values
Ummeed is a leading non-profit that is well-reputed in the disability sector. Its senior leaders are part of several government and international taskforces. Ummeed provides:
- A challenging but flexible work environment that offers opportunities for growth and creating impact at scale
- A leadership that invests in its people, giving them the freedom to explore, innovate, learn, while responsibly delivering on committed outcomes
- A strong culture of respecting diversity, being inclusive and committed to serving children with disabilities and their families
- An opportunity to work in collaboration with a diverse group of highly passionate, motivated and talented individuals
The above is a full-time position involving 8 hours per day/40 hours a week. It will require the applicant to work out of Ummeed's clinic, though some flexibility will be provided.